Email a friend
  • To include more than one recipient, please separate each email address with a semi-colon ';', to a maximum of 5


Court delays ArcelorMittal coking case to Dec.

Sep 04, 2013 | 06:27 PM | Catherine Ngai

Tags  ArcelorMittal Dofasco, coke oven, visible emissions, Ministry of Environment, Catherine Ngai


NEW YORK — Environmental charges filed against ArcelorMittal Dofasco Inc. by Ontario’s Ministry of Environment have been pushed back again for three months, a company spokeswoman told AMM.

The Hamilton, Ontario-based flat-rolled steelmaker is accused of exceeding visible air emissions levels at its cokemaking facility (amm.com, March 28).

Company representatives attended court Sept. 3 and the "matter was adjourned to Dec. 3 as the disclosure materials relating to the charges were not provided to the company until Aug. 22," a company spokeswoman said via e-mail. "As we indicated previously, given that this matter is now formally before the court it would not be appropriate for the company to comment further."

ArcelorMittal Dofasco announced in June that it would shutter its No. 1 coke plant in March 2015 after 62 years in operation following an internal company evaluation (amm.com, June 27). The company also said that it would continue to operate its No. 2 and No. 3 facilities as it starts to phase out the No. 1 plant.

ArcelorMittal Dofasco’s 750-acre steelmaking complex produces a range of flat-rolled steels. The facility includes three coke plants, two operating blast furnaces, a basic oxygen steelmaking furnace, an electric-arc furnace, two slab casters, a hot-strip rolling mill, pickling lines, cold-rolling mills, annealing and tempering facilities, galvanizing lines, an electrolytic tinning line and two tube mills, according to the company’s website.

A Ministry of Environment spokeswoman confirmed the court date was pushed back but declined further comment.




Latest Pricing Trends

Poll

Are you stocking more inventory today than 18 months ago?

Yes
No


View previous results