AMM.com Copying and distributing are prohibited without permission of the publisher
Email a friend
  • To include more than one recipient, please separate each email address with a semi-colon ';', to a maximum of 5


Brazil concludes probe vs. refractory materials from US

Keywords: Tags  Brazil probe, anti-dumping investigation, refractory metals, Secex, steel imports, Magnesita Refratarios, ArcelorMittal Brasil, ThyssenKrupp CSA Villares Metals


LONDON — The Brazilian government has ended an anti-dumping investigation into imports of refractory materials from the United States due to insignificant import volumes.

These products accounted for less than 3 percent of Brazil’s total steel-related imports from April 2007 through March 2012, Brazilian foreign trade secretariat Secex said June 12.

Brazil opened an anti-dumping investigation last July into imports of refractory materials consumed by the steel industry following a request by domestic producer Magnesita Refratários SA, which accounts for 97 percent of the nation’s refractory output.

The probe also included imports of refractory materials from China and Mexico. That investigation has been extended by up to six months, starting July 2, Secex said.

Brazil’s steel industry consumes 85 percent of the refractory materials, which are heat-resistant materials used to line furnaces and other hot metal processing equipment. The cement, nonferrous, chemicals, ceramics and glass industries use the remaining 15 percent.

Brazil imported 22,846 tonnes of refractory materials in 2012, down 12.7 percent from 26,183 tonnes in 2011, according to data from the country’s foreign trade ministry.

Steel producers ArcelorMittal Brasil SA, ThyssenKrupp’s Cia. Siderúrgica do Atlântico and Villares Metals SA were among the companies importing the product, Secex said.

A version of this article was first published in AMM sister publication Steel First.


Have your say
  • All comments are subject to editorial review.
    All fields are compulsory.



Latest Pricing Trends