Turkish and Mexican steel producers have joined traders and
domestic voices protesting a trade case filed Sept. 4,
insisting that rebar has not been dumped in the United
Importers of rebar to
the United States, along with Turkish and Mexican rebar
producers, are claiming that U.S. rebar producers are seeking a
short-term advantage over import competition, allowing them a
six-month, import-free window as the Department of Commerce
determines potential dumping margins and imports dwindle
(amm.com, Sept. 9).
"I dont think
the Turkish mills have dumped, and I think the ruling will be a
negative one. But there is a huge potential financial gain of
having a trade case out at the right time," said a trader.
"The whole thing is
ridiculous. You notice that theyre quoting the increase
in Turkish and Mexican and increasing the market share from 7
to 17 percent," said a rebar buyer, referring to the
petitions claim that the countries market share
doubled from 2010 to 2012. "The imports have accounted for
about 20 percent for as long as I can remember."
The American Institute
for International Steel (AIIS), the International Rebar
Exporters and Producers Association (Irepas) and the Turkish
Steel Producers Association (TCUD) have also issued statements
opposing the complaint.
Mexican producers have
argued that their U.S. shipments to have been consistent and
fairly priced. Apart from a few outlying months, imports from
Mexico have been around 15,000 and 30,000 tonnes each month
from the beginning of 2010 through July 2013, the last month
with available data.
"We are very
consistent. We never plan to increase our tonnage. We always
send the same quantity per month. Basically, we dont want
to make too much noise," said a Mexican rebar mill source. "I
never thought that the case was coming."
Deacero SA de CV, the
largest Mexican rebar exporter to the United States, will be
represented by White & Case LLP, according to documents
filed Sept. 9 with the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Deacero declined to comment on the case.
claim in the petition filed last week that the Turkish
government has been subsidizing producers with preferential
loans, reduced coal and natural gas prices from Turkish
state-owned enterprises, export credits and insurance.
Turkish producers have
denied receiving state subsidies.
"The claims are
baseless. There is no state aid, in accordance with free trade
agreements," TCUD general secretary Veysel Yayan said.
Yayan said many
Turkish producers expected U.S. producers to file a trade
complaint after Nucor Corp.s executive chairman, Dan
DiMicco, gave a speech at the Steel Success Strategies XXVIII
conference in New York in which he said "unfortunately, we in
the United States are the worlds dumping ground,
including Turkeys, for rebar and other products". (
amm.com, July 9).
DiMiccos statement in New York, we were expecting such a
petition. And now, its happened," Yayan said.
Exports of rebar from Turkey to the United States rose from
160,897 tonnes in 2010 to 574,810 tonnes in 2012, according to
the trade complaint.