Search Copying and distributing are prohibited without permission of the publisher
Email a friend
  • To include more than one recipient, please separate each email address with a semi-colon ';', to a maximum of 5

  • By submitting this article to a friend we reserve the right to contact them regarding AMM subscriptions. Please ensure you have their consent before giving us their details.

SCC interested in venture to develop Peru copper mine

Keywords: Tags  Southern Copper, SCC, Anglo American, Peru project, copper project, copper mine, Quellaveco Mine, Carolina Querra

SÃO PAULO — Southern Copper Corp. (SCC) is interested in discussing a potential investment with Anglo American Plc in Peru’s Quellaveco copper project, it said recently.

Quellaveco is a greenfield copper project in the Moquegua region of southern Peru with a potential start-up set for 2016. Anglo American owns 81.9 percent of the project, with the remaining 18.1 percent acquired by Japan’s Mitsubishi Corp. in February last year.

About three years ago, SCC had expressed preliminary interest to London-based Anglo American about a potential joint development of the Quellaveco Mine, and SCC is still interested, Gonzalez Rocha, SCC’s president and chief executive officer, told AMM sister publication Metal Bulletin in a telephone interview.

The project, however, hasn’t received the approval from Anglo American’s board, according to the company’s website.

Production at Quellaveco is estimated to reach 225,000 tonnes per year of copper, with molybdenum and silver as by-products.

A version of this article was first published in AMM sister publication Metal Bulletin.

Have your say
  • All comments are subject to editorial review.
    All fields are compulsory.

Latest Pricing Trends